Being an engineering student, like all engineering students in my country I also struggled to be disciplined in my engineering life. ‘Discipline’ the word gives a different picture for all of us, but here it is unique for every engineering student. If you have seen the movie ‘three idiots’ that will give a picture of the ‘discipline’ an engineering student is struggling to cope.
Since,I always keep a notebook with me to note down my ‘crazy’ ideas and thoughts I always hunt for ‘something’ to be written on the book. During a holiday as I was evaluating, I realised that am struggling to ‘Bath’ every day. And I need to ‘discipline’ myself to keep myself clean everyday.
‘Eureka !’ I go the ‘something’ I hunted for
Before sharing my ‘dirty’ life story I would love to give you a picture of my life. For me life is to spend a whole day with my laptop and internet, possibly a bottle of Cococola will make things much better. In the ‘busy’ schedule how could I manage to take a bath ! So I started writing down the possible reasons why I forget to bath. Here are the interesting reasons I wrote :
- We cannot bath online, If that was possible I would have done it daily.
- I don’t love water.
- I am ‘busy’ and I don’t have time.
- I just don’t care, I forget to do it
- I have many high priority things (checking facebook newsfeed, posting new photos to instagram with different ‘#’ and finally speaking ‘shit’ stories to my hostel mates)
Being an engineering student I should train myself to find solutions for problems ( we do that mostly in exams by creating unique solutions ). I listed the possible solutions and hacks I could follow to manage a bath every day and my list looked something like this :
- Fix a time, just before going to college or just before you sleep at night ( 2 am)
- You can save a lot of deo and perfumes as daily bathing will reduce the ‘smell’.
- Try making you ‘bath’ interesting; for a change start using shower gels and stop using traditional soaps.
Since every habit is born when you repeatedly do it for 21 days, I followed it for the next 21 days and I disciplined myself to get a bath every day. Now, as an engineer writing up this post I think this is an effective method for disciplining yourself in life. This could be with any area which you would love to discipline, the method is simple:
- Evaluate yourself.
- Find out ‘why’ you are doing or not doing it.
- List the possible steps you could take
- Follow it for the next 21 days.
We can create lot of ‘power’ habits if we just take a one small step to act. Often, we live a life dedicated to lot of things or materials (phone, laptop, food, music, movies etc) but the real fact is
“The most important things in life aren’t things’